Two-Ingredient Ice Cream: Reese’s Mini Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

You all know how in love I am with homemade ice cream – to date, I have 25 ice cream-related desserts posted on the blog, and there pretty much isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not dreaming up a new concoction. Ice cream made at home is infinitely better than any store bought variety I have ever tried, and coming up with new and different versions is something I look forward to every summer. I typically always use a custard base for my ice creams, chill it, and then churn it with my ice cream attachment. It’s a bit of a process, but always worth it. So I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw “two-ingredient ice cream”. I couldn’t fathom how this was possible, and of course needed to do some experimenting. I am happy to report that this is 1-2-3 easy and tastes amazing!

So what’s the secret to this ice cream? One can of sweetened condensed milk, combined with whatever mix-ins you’d like (huge surprise that I chose peanut butter cups, right?!). Then you take 2 cups of heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream) and whip it up to stiff peaks, then fold it into the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and pop it in the freezer. That’s it! The resulting ice cream is sweet and creamy – totally delicious! It’s a perfect option for folks without an ice cream maker (although if you want to go a traditional ice cream route, you can check out the tutorial on how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker), and it’s definitely something I will make from time to time since it’s so quick and adaptable!

Be sure to check out Amanda’s site, where she whipped up some amazing varieties of this ice cream. What type of flavors and mix-ins would you choose?! I’m thinking about trying one with Lindt truffles – one of my favorite indulgences!

One year ago: Beer Waffles with Cinnamon-Caramel Apples
Two years ago: Zucchini Bread
Three years ago: Italian Bread
Four years ago: Chicken Spread

Two-Ingredient Ice Cream (Reese's Mini Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream)

Yield: 5 cups

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream
40 Reese's Mini Peanut Butter Cups, quartered (or mix-in of your choice)

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk or stir together the sweetened condensed milk and the peanut butter cups.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture, until thoroughly combined. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer. (Will take about 6 hours or so until mixture is completely frozen.)

(Recipe adapted from I Am Baker; originally from Kevin & Amanda)

64 Responses to “Two-Ingredient Ice Cream: Reese’s Mini Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream”

1. Jen of My Tiny Oven on August 10, 2011 at 12:51 am REPLY

Love it!

2. Katrina on August 10, 2011 at 1:57 am REPLY

Hurray! A non-ice cream maker ice cream! I heart you.

3. Emely on August 10, 2011 at 4:51 am REPLY

This sounds great i will try this and i will add some snickers bars …..

4. Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance on August 10, 2011 at 5:31 am REPLY

I didn’t even know it was possible to make ice cream out of an ice cream maker! JESSSSSSSS

5. Paula on August 10, 2011 at 8:51 am REPLY

Delicious and I love that you don’t need an ice-cream maker. Must check out more of your ice-cream (non ice-cream maker) recipes :)

6. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking on August 10, 2011 at 9:08 am REPLY

One word – YUM!!!

7. Jeannette Dailey on August 10, 2011 at 9:09 am REPLY

This looks so easy and sooo yummy. I am going to try this. The add ins are endless with this. Oh the things I can throw in. I can not wait to try this.
    Thanks

8. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray on August 10, 2011 at 9:28 am REPLY

You are my hero! Ice-cream-maker-less readers, rejoice!!

9. Bev Weidner on August 10, 2011 at 9:50 am REPLY

YES. PLEASE. NOW.

10. Erin on August 10, 2011 at 10:45 am REPLY

Seriously?? Two ingredients? Now this I have got to try.

11. Heather on August 10, 2011 at 10:51 am REPLY

This is absolute genius.

12. krista on August 10, 2011 at 10:55 am REPLY

Okay so this looks amazing, and to think I decided to start my diet today! I never would have thought of condensed milk for ice cream…I will have to try it!

13. Angie @ Bigbearswife on August 10, 2011 at 11:10 am REPLY

I can’t wait to try this.

14. Lindsey@Lindselicious on August 10, 2011 at 11:15 am REPLY

Hooray! I have an old school ice cream maker and never want to take it out to use it. I cant wait to try this!!!

15. Lacy on August 10, 2011 at 11:24 am REPLY

Wow that looks amazing & just 2 ingredients! I will definitely have to try this!!

16. Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff on August 10, 2011 at 11:28 am REPLY

NO WAY! I would like to try this for myself! =)

17. Nicolemarie on August 10, 2011 at 11:48 am REPLY

This is great, I guess I wont ever have to get that ice cream attachement! If I wanted to make a chocolate chip mint ice cream, but I wanted that light green color, how would you go about doing that ? food coloring ?

• Elizabeth on August 10th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Use mint extract for the flavor and (Yes) green food coloring should give that light green color as long as you don’t use too much.

• Michelle on August 10th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Ditto Elizabeth!

18. Alida @ Alida's Kitchen on August 10, 2011 at 12:01 pm REPLY

What a great idea!! I have an ice cream maker, but never use it. This sounds too easy to be true – I can’t wait to give it a try. Besides, peanut butter cups are my favorite! :)

19. CouponClippingCook on August 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm REPLY

This sounds ultra delicious.

20. Jennifer @ Raisin Questions on August 10, 2011 at 2:03 pm REPLY

I was about to twist myself in a tizzy, lamenting my lack of an ice cream maker when I saw this your latest to-die-for ice cream blog post. I’m so glad that doesn’t have to happen this time! How do you think I could go about adding in cookie dough…?

• Michelle on August 10th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Hi Jennifer, I would make your cookie dough, roll them into balls, and stir them into the sweetened condensed milk, then proceed with folding in the whipped cream. Basically, any of your add-ins will get mixed into the sweetened condensed milk, and then the whipped cream folded in.

21. Heidi on August 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm REPLY

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Mmmmm this looks so good.

22. paula hennig on August 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm REPLY

Wish I was eating a big scoop of that ice cream right now! Love that you don’t need an ice cream maker!! awesome:)

23. Ally on August 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm REPLY

You have officially convinced me that homemade ice cream can be simple & i s possible! x

24. Susan on August 10, 2011 at 3:31 pm REPLY

Oh no! Well, there goes my diet! Gorgeous photos as always! I have to make this, there’s no way around it!

25. Chelsea on August 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm REPLY

My first reaction when I saw this in my inbox: “No, it can’t be done!”
    I’m going to try Butterfinger-Oreo with a peanut butter-fudge swirl. Hmm…maybe I should wait until after swimsuit season.

• Chelsea on August 16th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Decided to go with vanilla bean instead, since I just got half a pound of them in the mail. SOOOO unbelievably delicious! Can’t wait to experiment…

26. Jen on August 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm REPLY

That does look delicious but isn’t that 3 ingredients?

• Michelle on August 10th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

The ice cream base is the sweetened condensed milk and whipped cream, which is the “two ingredient ice cream”. You can customize it however you want with whatever add-ins you’d like – I used the mini Reese’s peanut butter cups.

27. Tiffany on August 10, 2011 at 6:23 pm REPLY

Three ingredients… ten minutes?!?!? I’m in!

28. Ann on August 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm REPLY

I’m one of the few that don’t have an ice-cream maker….this is holy cow amazing!

29. Robin @ Simply Southern Baking on August 10, 2011 at 7:53 pm REPLY

This sounds amazing and soooo easy!!! The flavor possibilities are endless!

30. Curt on August 10, 2011 at 7:57 pm REPLY

That does sound pretty easy. And of course, tasty too!

When I was a kid, we used to make ice cream at home with the hand cranked ice cream maker. Keep cranking and cranking and adding salt around the outside!

31. sarah on August 10, 2011 at 9:25 pm REPLY

This looks yummy, might have to try it out some time. Maybe I won’t need to buy the attachment for the occasional ice cream fix.

32. Kim on August 10, 2011 at 9:34 pm REPLY

Not to be a buzz kill for all those with no ice cream maker, but how would you do this WITH an ice cream maker? Would I still whip the cream and fold in the condensed milk and then put it in the ice cream maker? Or would all the mixing flatten the whipped cream?

• Michelle on August 11th, 2011 at 11:55 am

Hi Kim, You really wouldn’t. Churning this would deflate the whipped cream. It’s formulated specifically to not be churned. Quick and easy!

• Lisa on March 13th, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Couldn’t you blend the SWC and the cream, then stir in some mix ins and use in your ice cream churn?

• Lisa on March 13th, 2013 at 1:33 pm

That should be SCM (sweetened condensed milk), not SWC. Sorry, I had heavy whipping cream (HWC) on the brain.

33. Monica on August 10, 2011 at 9:57 pm REPLY

When I saw the title I thought this was going to be this ice cream from Two Peas http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/two-ingredient-banana-peanut-butter-ice-cream/comment-page-2/#comment-56701. You should give that one a try too!

34. gloria on August 10, 2011 at 10:44 pm REPLY

I dont have and Ice cream machine, and this look georgeous and delicious!!gloria

35. The Chocolate Priestess on August 11, 2011 at 9:54 am REPLY

Interesting with two ingredients, really three, right, with the mix-in. I still have to find time to try out our next ice cream maker.

36. Rachel @ The Avid Appetite on August 11, 2011 at 11:03 am REPLY

I would have never thought to make ice cream this way! It sounds purely fantastic!

37. Emma on August 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm REPLY

This “2 ingredient” icecream requires 3 incredients. -_-’
    Still looks yummy though. Good job.

38. Winelady Cooks on August 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm REPLY

I love ice cream and I don’t have an ice cream maker so I’m always looking for a recipe that really tastes good without the ice crystals. This recipe was developed for making without using an ice cream maker.

My sister “the cook” sent me a similar recipe last week and I had to make since it was so easy and quick to make. I haven’t posted it yet, but I will say that it is absolutely delicious, and sooooooooo easy. I will post my recipe in a few days (as soon as I get through my “to do” list).

Thanks so much for sharing,
    Joanne

39. Kristin on August 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm REPLY

Hi Michelle,

I made this last night with the exception of adding about 1 cup of Fluff and mini marshmallows instead of PB cups. I had just made chocolate chunk cookies with bits of graham cracker inside the cookie dough and though a marshmallow flavored ice cream would make a cool version of a S’mores Ice Cream Sandwich:) Anyways, I found after freezing it for about 10 hours, it’s very soft and started melting pretty quick. It reminded me very much like Cool Whip (which is probably very similar to how Cool Whip is made anyways).

Any tips or ideas on how to make this type of ice cream hard?
    Thanks,
    Kristin

• Michelle on August 11th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Hi Kristen, Mine froze hard. I’m wondering if the marshmallow fluff kept it soft and from freezing hard?

• Kristin on August 11th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for replying back so quickly. That does make sense now that I think about it, usually any ice cream with marshmallow does tend to be on the softer side.

I feel a bit deflated now since I had so many other ideas and I’m worried the same thing will happen. I really like the idea of adding different liquors (Amaretto, Kahlua, rum, etc.) any advice on that using this Two Ingredient Recipe? I really should just go out and invest in an ice cream maker, lol.

Any tips on the “alcohol avenue” would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
        Kristin

• Michelle on August 11th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Hi Kristin, Alcohol does tend to keep ice cream a little softer, but not drastically. I think you would be okay using a couple of tablespoons. Have fun experimenting!

• Kristin on August 11th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Thank you! I appreciate it. I’ll let you know how any new flavors come out…

40. marietta on August 11, 2011 at 5:20 pm REPLY

I will try to make this. Im yet to make a hand made ice cream that’s not icy.
    Brown eye gave me a couple of tips…fingers crossed they work. I’m in Australia so bummer we don’t have peanut butter cups :(

• Christy on September 9th, 2011 at 7:55 pm

CRAZY! I would have never thought that you wouldn’t have PB cups!!! Maybe just add some chocolate chips and some peanut butter chips!

• marietta on September 11th, 2011 at 10:32 am

We don’t have peanut butterchips either. I used something similar kinda like a pb cup but it had caramel inside…it was good.

41. Jamie on August 11, 2011 at 5:25 pm REPLY

I am so excited about this recipe. I have never made homemade Ice Cream and have been wondering if it is worth it to buy an Ice Cream maker. Now I can try this out first. YAY! I followed the link you provided and that Nutella one sounds really good too!

42. Carla on August 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm REPLY

I do this at home with chocolate cookies smashed, it’s amazing :D

43. marietta on August 12, 2011 at 2:28 am REPLY

It’s in the freezer…no ice crystals yet!

44. Laura P on August 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm REPLY

Made this yesterday! I made half black raspberry and half krispie kreme dounut! Both are delicious. As someone who has always wanted to make homemade ice cream but lacked an ice cream maker this recipe is perfect! It was super quick and easy!

45. Valerie on August 14, 2011 at 1:56 pm REPLY

You know i have bookmarked all your peanut butter recipes? I have them all haha I just need time to make them, just waiting for the perfect moment!

Hugs

46. Jen on August 16, 2011 at 10:33 pm REPLY

I made this with peanut butter and pb cups mixed into the sweetened condensed milk portion. I can not believe how good this is. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

47. Serene on August 18, 2011 at 3:47 am REPLY

Hi there! I am interested in making this. But I can’t find any half and half in our market here. Any suggestion on how i might replace that?

Thanks

48. Serene on August 18, 2011 at 3:51 am REPLY

Aik! I posted the comment on the wrong post! The above comment was meant to be for the Malted milk ice cream =__=

49. jenjenk on August 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm REPLY

i love how easy this is!! I’ve got to try this!! Heather Christo has a great mint simple syrup! i wonder if I can mix that in to get a mint chocolate chip ice cream?!

50. Angie @ Bigbearswife on September 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm REPLY